Well, its been quite some time since I’ve updated this page (the Facebook is staying fairly updated though). That being said, there are few items of business to talk about.
First and foremost, I am finally starting to play some shows. The first of which is as follows:
JUNE 26, 2014
with YUKON GOLD and WE ARE TRAITORS
I am excited to play with my good friends We Are Traitors (which includes both Jarrett and Brad who played on my record) and another kick ass band, Yukon Gold. This show should be real fun, and there may even be a few surprises.
Secondly, new music. I have 20 or so new songs. If you have been following my Soundcloud, you may have heard some of the demos, as well as some more cover songs. I’m starting to think about album number 2, but first, I think I might do a striped down acoustic EP. I’ll update with my progress as it is made. I have some ideas for both the album and EP floating around in my head. The album is a bit more complicated because I need to find the time to get the Parade of Horribles together to start working out the songs. That is part of the reason I want to first get an acoustic ep out, so you all aren’t waiting forever for new music.
Lastly, I’ve been playing the drums in another project, as well as doing some singing and writing. The band is called the Steady Electric and we play rootsy ska, rocksteady, and two-tone. It is completely different sounding then my solo work and a lot of fun. We just played our first show and are working on an EP. Stay tuned for more info on that project as well.
Hope to see you at the show.
- Michael J. Karlin
So here it is at last, the album release date. The album is now available on iTunes, AmazonMP3, and Bandcamp (and a few other stores). You can also stream the entire record on Spotify or Bandcamp, or the Bandcamp widget on the right side of this page. For the next two weeks the album will be pay whatever you want via Bandcamp (you can even pay nothing and I will still give it to you) and it exclusively comes with the digital booklet. So have at it and spread the word. Thanks for all the support.
Buy on iTunes
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Bandcamp
Also the wonderful site Reid’s Wild World has reviewed the record. You can check out that review right here:
With the album being released in mere days, I decided to put together a little promo video for one of the songs called “Tonight We Give ‘Em Hell”:
The album now has an official release date and that date is April 9, 2013! It will be available for digital download on iTunes and AmazonMp3 and it will be available for digital download with the digital booklet on Bandcamp. Here is the cover art and track listing:
- Is this All I Have To Say?
- Tonight We Give ‘Em Hell
- Goof For You, Good FOR You
- When I Think of What You’d Say Or: Credit Cards, Love, and the New American Dream
- Forget the Hoopelheads
- Don’t Waste the Light of Tomorrow
- Can’t Drink Like I Used To (Youth is Gone)
- Ghosts of the Past
- Make Me Feel Young Again
- Ain’t Got No Time (and I Don’t Know Why)
- Out on the Line
Here is the first single “Don’t Waste the Light of Tomorrow”:
Well as you can see, the website has been revamped in preparation for the release of my debut full length album, which is self-titled. Details on the release date for the record should be revealed this week, once I have the masters in my hands and can figure out how soon it will be on iTunes and AmazonMp3. In the meantime, I have sequenced by mixtape of cover songs, you check them out here:
Also, here is another pic from my photo shoot for the album.
More updates soon ….
Since everyone else is posting their best of lists, I figured I may as well.
Favorite Records of 2012:
- Lucero - Women & Work (ATO Records)
- Japandroids - Celebration Rock (Polyvinyl Records)
- Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal (Universal Republic Records)
- Cheap Girls - Giant Orange (Rise Records)
- Audra Mae and the Almighty Sound - S/T (SideOneDummy Records)
- Two Gallants - The Bloom and the Blight (ATO Records)
- Jordan Moser - Sleeping Bag (Albino Crow)
- Tanlines - Mixed Emotions (True Panther Sounds)
- Sundials - When I Couldn’t Breath (Asian Man Records)
- Pebaluna - Carney Life (MDB Records)
- Cory Branan - Mutt (Bloodshot Records)
- Classics of Love - S/T (Asian Man Records)
- Fun. - Some Nights (Fueled by Ramen Records)
- Jimmy Cliff - Rebirth (UMe)
- Regina Spektor - What We Saw From the Cheap Seats (Sire Records)
- Murder by Death - Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon (Bloodshot Records)
- Joyce Manor - Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired (Asian Man Records)
- The Lumineers - S/T (Dualtone Music Group)
- Santigold - Master of My Make Believe (Atlantic)
- Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts (Blue Note Records)
Favorite EPs of 2012:
- Desaparecidos - MariKKopa (Saddle Creek Records)
- Jarrett Killen - It’s My Demise (Reservoir Recordings)
Favorite Live Shows of 2012:
- Refused - The Glasshouse - April 2012
- Desaparecidos - FYF Fest - September 2012
- Cheap Girls - after walking 2 miles to find the Che Cafe - April 2012
Favorite Movies of 2012:
- Moonrise Kingdom
- Django Unchained
- Cabin in the Woods
Well we have entered the mixing stage of the record and the album is tentatively set to be released in late January.
Along with the release of the my self-titled debut record “Michael J. Karlin and the Parade of Horribles”, I will also be releasing a mixtape of cover songs. I will be releasing one song a week until the release of the self-titled record.
You can find the “Telephone Sessions Mixtape” at http://michaeljkarlinandtheparadeofhorribles.bandcamp.com/album/telephone-sessions-mixtape
and there player is embedded below: